Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Amazing Rescue! Stranger Braves Stormy Waters to Save Dog!

I came across this story on http://www.peoplepets.com/ and my heart was warmed immediately.

"When Sue Drummond and her Maltese-Shih Tzu mix Bibi set off for a walk by the water in Melbourne, Australia, on Aug. 16, she had no idea that it could be Bibi's last. But with furious winds estimated at 60 mph, Bibi was suddenly blown right off the pier and into the rough waters below.

"I thought he was going to sink and then maybe I wouldn't be able to find him," Drummond told Australia's Courier Mail. "But I didn't really want to hop in the water either because I wasn't quite sure if I could Make it to shore with a struggling dog."

Drummond watched as Bibi helplessly tried to doggy paddle back to the pier. Then out of nowhere, a bystander named Raden Soemawinata striped down to his underwear and shirt and jumped in to save the pup. Soemawinata, 20, was on the pier for a family ceremony to scatter his grandmother's ashes when he saw the dog struggling and plunged in after him.

Though he's being hailed as a hero, Soemawinata says saving the dog wasn't especially brave. "It was pretty cold and windy but it wasn't such a hard decision to jump in" he told Australia's Daily Telegraph "It wasn't such a great feat.""

Story written by Andrea Desimone

No comments:

Post a Comment